Isabella Parry Memorial Tablet

Memorial tablets in Holy Trinity church Tunbridge Wells

Isabella Louisa Parry (nee Stanley)

Inscription: Sacred to the memory of Isabella Louisa, Fourth daughter of Lord Stanley of Alderley and wife of Captain Sir William Edward Parry Kt, R.N. Born at Alderley May 27th 1801. Died at Tunbridge Wells May 13th 1839.

Unspeakably endeared to the mourning friends she has left behind by the loveliness of her natural character and her many social virtues: exemplary as a daughter & a wife & a mother she was endued with those higher graces of a pure and humble piety, which are precious in the sight of God.

The infant twin sons of the above who were born and died May 11th 1839 are interred with their mother in the churchyard.

“Sorrow not even as others which have no hope: for if we believe that Jesus died and rose again even so them which also sleep in Jesus will God bring with them.” 1 Thess. IV 13. 14.

Buried in the cemetery? Yes. Grave C8.

Location: 10 on map: This tablet is to the left of the stage behind the curtain.

Accessibility: It is only viewable by prior arrangement with Trinity Theatre when the stage is not in use.

Isabella Louisa Parry memorial tablet
Isabella Louisa Parry

About Isabella Louisa Parry

Isabella Louisa Stanley was born into a wealthy family. She married explorer Rear Admiral Sir William Edward Parry (his memorial tablet is No 9 directly above this one) as his first wife and travelled with him and their family to Australia.

She is known for setting up a school for children and one for adult convicts in Australia. She was also an accomplished amateur artist.  Some of her Australian sketches, dated 1832, are now in the Scott Polar Research Institute, Cambridge.

There is a portrait and biography of her in the National Portrait Gallery of Australia. There is also a memorial tablet for her in Stroud, NSW, Australia.

Isabella Louisa Parry aged 25 in 1826 (c) National Portrait Gallery of Australia

She and Edward had 10 children and by 1837 had lost 4 of them. They are all buried together in London.

In 1839 she came to Tunbridge Wells to ‘take the air’ as the family was recovering from whooping cough. The family stayed at what is now the Mount Edgcumbe Hotel. There is a plaque commemorating them there.

Unfortunately she died in Tunbridge Wells, 2 days after her twin sons were born and died on the same day they were born. She and her sons are buried in the cemetery.

There is more information about Isabella on our website here.

Other graves/memorial tablets:

Rear Admiral Sir William Edward Parry memorial tablet no 9 (immediately above this tablet).

His son by his second marriage, William Edward Parry, is also buried in the cemetery in grave no D19. H died aged only 15 at Harrow School in 1861. His second wife Catherine Hankinson (nee Hoare and the mother of his son above) was the sister in law of Canon Hoare.

Robert William DALLAS

Robert William Dallas

Robert DALLAS entered the army in 1808. 

He was severely wounded in the Peninsular War at St Jean de Luz in 1814. 1817  became a major in the 1st West India Regiment.

His father’s family inherited money from an estate in Grenada, WI

Married Lucy DAVIDSON, daughter of Henry, in 1818 in London

Robert's Grave

The grave is located in the cemetery in plot B8. The inscription on the gravestone is quite worn.

The inscription is “Sacred/to the memory of/Robert William DALLAS Esq/who departed this life/the 11th September 1849/in the 60th year/of his age/and—his wife/Lucy DALLAS/died 16th Sept 1870/aged 71 years.”

He married Lucy DAVIDSON, daughter of Henry, in 1818 in London

Mural Tablet in Trinity Church

Tablet inscription is “Robert William DALLAS, only son of the late Right Honourable Lord Chief Justice DALLAS, Major in the 9th Regiment of Foot, served Walcheren and Peninsular, died 11th September 1849, in his 60th year, at Tunbridge Wells, erected by his widow.”

Location of tablet within the church is currently unknown and would only be visible by special arrangement as this area is not normally open to visitors.

Walter Sprott

Walter Sprott

Walter Sprott was a solicitor based in Tunbridge Wells.


By 1862 the practice and Lower House had been acquired by Walter Sprott, who had been born at Tunbridge Wells in about 1825, probably the son of a solicitor of the same name. Walter Sprott, his wife, five children and three servants were enumerated in Mayfield High Street in 1881. The family included his eldest son Frank Walter Sprott (born c1863), articled to his father, who was to qualify as a solicitor in 1884. By 1940 Frank Sprott was in partnership with Walter Ralph Clement Sprott, probably his son, who left the firm between 1962 and 1970 (Law List). In 1929 and 1933 the firm also had offices in Crowborough and at Oxted in Surrey.

Sprotts of Mayfield had merged with Cripps, Harries Hall (now Cripps Pemberton Greenish) of Tunbridge Wells before 1981 and the Mayfield offices closed between 1986 and 1988. The history of the firm can be traced from the eighteenth century, most conveniently through the stewardships of the manor of Bivelham in Mayfield and Hammerden in Ticehurst, which its partners held from 1777 to 1858.”

2002: Mayfield School: Sprott Prize, awarded annually after a vote among peers to the most popular boy and girl in Year 6.


Death and Burial

 Walter died in 1844.


Walter Sprott is buried in Trinity Cemetery with his daughter Sophia and second wife Mary.

Walter SPROTT (Number 1213) Buried 10th May 1844.   61 years Tunbridge Wells.  Mary SPROTT (Number 2044) Buried 2nd July 1881.  87 years Trinity (Tunbridge Wells). E. Sophia SPROTT (Number 2058) Buried 24th February 1899. 81 years Christ Church (Tunbridge Wells).

North Face      Sacred/to the memory of/Walter SPROTT/of Tunbridge Wells/who died 3. May 1844/aged 61 years

South Face   Also of/Mary/widow of Walter SPROTT/of Tunbridge Wells/who died 29 June 1881/aged 87 years

East Face  Also/of/Sophia SPROTT/—-/—-


Grave Location

 The grave is located at A18.



Walter Sprott’s will is available at the National Archives.


Some of Walter Sprott’s letters are held at The Keep in Brighton